NOT FABULOUS: Strep Throat
As a fabulous person, I rarely pay any mind to anything that is NOT FABULOUS. However, every once in awhile, a terrible and unfabulous thing occurs with such intensity that I am forced to heed it’s terrible call of “sit down, bitch!”. This week, that thing was strep throat.
I haven’t had strep since I was a teenager, so at first I was a little hesitant to believe that is what could be happening to me, but eventually Dr. Google convinced me to go in and get diagnosed after several days of knife-swallowing pain. Don’t be like me. Learn from my idiocy. Here are the things I found out:
1. If you have a horrible sore throat, are running a fever, and feel like absolute shit, but you aren’t coughing or throwing up, you probably have strep throat.
2. You can get a strep swab and antibiotics by walking into any urgent care clinic – no need to get all formal and wait for a doctor’s appointment.
3. You NEED antibiotics if you have strep. You body can clear the infection on it’s own, but the risk of it spreading to your other organs (like your heart!) is NOT worth it.
4. Once you get your antibiotics, you are good to go within 24 hours. Not contagious, not feeling shitty.
– MEN STOP READING HERE-
5. Yes, ladies, we all know what taking antibiotics means. But, BUT, it turns out that you can take probiotics with your antibiotics to keep everything fresh and balanced in your lady parts. You’re swallowing a specific type of good bacteria (not strep!), so it will not counteract the effects of your antibiotics. I like Azo Yeast.
I tackled all of this yesterday morning and am already feeling good as new! And that, my friends, is just fabulous.